Thursday, September 6, 2012

What found me at the Thrift Store


        I dropped the bags off in the car and walked to Chuck E Cheese to meet up with Ken and the kids.  I tried to open the door, but it was locked.  I pulled the exit door and it too was locked.  Their hours were posted and they should have been open!  People were inside, but no one looked my way.  God was at work, but I didn't know it yet...

Tonight we ventured out to America's Thrift Store in Hixson.  We hadn't been there in a long time and we needed a couple things....and with Chuck E Cheese right next door we thought the kids could take their tokens and play a few games. 

 Callie found this V-tech computer.  When I asked her, "What is it?"  She announced, "Pink!"  To my surprise it had batteries and worked (and only $2.48). Ken's shopping was quick, as usual, so he took the kids to play while I continued to shop. 
  •  a large magnet (.15 cents)
  • A leaf shaped basket (.25 cents) perfect for our Autumn activities in school.
  • A play-doh set- brand new!  ($1.49)
  • Don't Spill the Beans (.49 cents) It even has all the pieces!
  • I don't know what you call the little box with the pins that leaves a relief, but it was .15 cents.
  • Vintage Fisher price Calculator/Grocery list. Cute imaginative play ahead!  (.15 cents)
  • Travel Size Mancala- brand new!  It has cute little rocks as pieces and MADE IN THAILAND:)  (.39 cents)
  • Play iron.  (.15 cents).
So, all of this for about $6.  Not bad!  I usually leave smiling, thinking about how I'll wash and sanitize everything as soon I get home, and start planning how I'll use the school supplies, or when I'll give the little toys and activities to the kids, but tonight was different.

I dropped the bags off in the car and walked to Chuck E Cheese to meet up with Ken and the kids.  I tried to open the door, but it was locked.  I pulled the exit door and it too was locked.  Their hours were posted and they should have been open!  People were inside, but no one looked my way.  God was at work, but I didn't know it yet.

A man walked up to me, "Can you help me?"  
 I asked him what he needed.  His response: 
"I'm drunk, and I just need an open door."

My mind starting running through the list, what shelters are around here, who can I call to get a phone number of a place to help him... I was also aware of the locked door in front of me.  As I talked to this man, someone walked out of Chuck E. Cheese.  I held the door, but instead of walking in, I continued talking.  I know that sounds irresponsible, or unsafe, but I truly feel this was the Lord's leading. ( I did tell him that my husband was waiting inside for me.)

I told him that I was a Christian and he quickly met it with "I am too- praise God."  I confronted him, "If you are, why aren't you serving the Lord with your life?"  He told me that he was in college and that he loved people.  I said, "Look at your life- you are a slave to sin.  You are drunk and you do drugs (he told me that too).  Why are you a Christian?  Why will God let you into heaven?"  ( That sounds harsh, but I really said it in love and concern).  He said, "I don't deserve heaven or anything good, there's nothing good about me."

What an opportunity!  I told him that I didn't deserve anything good, that I- just like him was a sinner.  The Lord directed the conversation as this man talked about how he really loved his mother, I shared how God's love was deeper, about God the Father sending His Son for us!  I told him to look at his life, to see how he was in bondage to sin.  He held out his arms to show me they were covered in tattoos and he began crying, "I AM in bondage, it's written all over me."  I remember seeing a skull, but I don't remember anything else.  I wasn't scared.  I just looked into his face and told him about the apostle Paul and how he spent his life, until God changed him.

This man told me his name was Ben and that he had done terrible things too.  By this time he was smoking...and crying....and then thanking me.  I offered to call him a cab, but he said he lived in an apartment within walking distance. I encouraged him to read the Bible, starting with the book of John and then Romans. I told him to read it on the internet if he didn't have a Bible.  He agreed.  We talked a bit more, and he asked to shake my hand.  He apologized for bothering me, and I smiled.  "You were God's answer to my prayer.  I asked him to give me someone to talk to about Christ, and he sent you here.  I used to be so afraid to share my faith, but if it's the best thing in my life, why wouldn't I share it?  I'm so glad God brought you here and that I got to talk to you."  He thanked me again, and as he walked away he said, "Romans and John, right?"

I walked into Chuck E. Cheese and told Ken all that had happened.  He was excited too.  The whole car ride home, in-between our conversations, I kept thinking how good God is, how gracious He is and how He's changing my life....I'll leave you with this:

Today during lunch I was telling the kids about compassion (our character trait for the next week or so) and I told them we'd be learning about the Good Samaritan.  We also read the parable of the seeds (to go along with our study of fruit).  Jack and I talked for a long time about planting seeds by sharing the Word of God.  Several hours later, I met Ben, and had the opportunity to live out what I'd been teaching.

 I'm just humbled by it all....The Word of God is active and living and powerful!  I'm also reminded that the only good in me is God living and working through me. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Summer! That is so awesome! It's amazing how real God is in our lives. His "realness" shouldn't surprise me, but it is just so humbling that he would use people like us. That is so wonderful that you were able to share your faith without fear. I am working toward that right now, and I always wondered what it actually looks like to just "randomly" share your faith in everyday situations. Thank you for writing this and for encouraging me to tell others about Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa that's quite the haul!! I sure wish I lived near your thrift store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You scored some great deals! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete